onsdag 7 februari 2007

Swedish and Bjorn

I keep talking Swedish to Bjorn every chance I have, but it is hard sometimes switching back and forth between English with Laura and Swedish to Bjorn, and I notice myself mixing the words sometimes (Swenglish anyone?), but most researchers state that children growing up in a bi-lingual home will mix the words until they are 5-6 years old, so I would not be surprised once he starts speaking he will mix the languages, if he does speak Swedish. Most language researchers state that some children will not want to learn a 2nd language, and it also depends on genetics, some people have a very strong skill for languages and others not....so only time will tell if our little Bear will speak Swedish or not, it won't be for a lack of trying on our end :- )

Here's a good link discussing bilingual babies, there is a myth that bilingual babies language development is slower, but in fact it shows that they learn just as many words as monolinguals, it is just that they learn some words in their native language and some in their 2nd language.

http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,1106,00.html

2 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

I hope he gets his knack for languages from you and your side of the family. My brain was never that flexible.

ninamy sa...

Hej!

Vi fick en liten dotter i fredags morse. :-)

// Niklas & Nina